August 14, 2006

Braces, Day One

So I had my orthodontic braces installed (or whatever the appropriate verb is) this morning. All went smoothly, and it even took less time than I had thought. The brackets and wires feel awkward, but the staff assure me that within a week or so I'll adjust. Fine. And the Aleve  is working like a charm so far.

Fast forward two hours when I'm ready to sit down for my first meal with my new mouth. TWACK! I felt the top wire shift to the left, and suddenly the subtle pressure I'd been feeling on my teeth is gone. With my tongue I can feel the sharp edge of something metal; that wasn't there before, was it?  Quick trip to the mirror reveals that one of the brackets had come off a tooth.

The orthodontist's receptionist didn't seemed too fazed when I told her my problem; I was offered an appointment for TOMORROW afternoon. Was she kidding? I just had them put on less that three hours ago; couldn't someone fix it today? Time is of the essence - I don't want to spent one day longer than necessary with these things. I'll be seeing someone (who knows what they're doing, I hope), later this afternoon.

Not an especially propitious start, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. I am in Boulder after all, where "no worries" is our mantra.

No comments: