August 25, 2005

Summer reading list

In addition to the latest Harry Potter, I've been reading The Tricky Part : One Boy's Fall from Trespass into Grace. It's actor Martin Moran's memoir of growing up Catholic, gay, and the victim of a pederast (though not a priestly one). Victim is my word; I'm half-way through, and I'm not sure if he ever sees himself as one. He credits his violator for introducing himself to himself (i.e. discovering and acting on his homosexuality), which is an astonishing act of forgiveness. I've seen Moran on stage only once, as the telegraph operator in Titanic. He memorably sang "The Night Was Alive," a similar tale of self-discovery, this time recounting how a lonely boy discovered Marconi's machine - and a way of connecting with "a thousand voices fighting to be heard."

No comments: