August 20, 2005

New technology on the way...

For the past month or so I’ve been obsessed with TabletPCs. It all started when I read about a professor who used the ink/handwriting features of one to grade his students’ papers electronically. As I was about to receive via e-mail 57 final exams from my own students’ , I had an “A-ha!” moment: if I had a TablePC I wouldn’t have to download, print, staple, and carry them around. Instead, I could keep the entire process electronic and e-mail the marked up and graded exam to each student (added bonus for the students: the exams are returned much sooner). So, after much hunting on the Web, reading discussion groups, even listening to a bunch of podcasts , I’ve made the lead. I chose a Fujitsu 4020, the latest model from one of the first and best producers of TabletPCs. With any luck, it’ll be here in a week or so. I’ll post updates about my transition to this new (to me) technology. Like somany others these days, I expect it to make me more efficient and productive. Time will tell….

No comments: