January 12, 2005

Sayonara Serena!

Appearing in her last episode after a four year run, Elisabeth Rohm went out with a "Law & Order twist." Her character,Asst. Dist. Atty. Serena Southerlyn, was fired by her boss for being too passionate, rather than cold-blooded, in her pursuit of justice. Her response? "It's not because I'm a lesbian, is it?" Have we ever had even the slightest inkling that she was a sister of Sappho? I wish I could salute Rohm for playing an out-of-the-closet lesbian whose sexual orientation was irrelevant to her job performance, it was never reflected in her characterization. In fact, during her stint on the show she has demonstrated no growth or development as an actor. She started weak and never really created a character I cared at all about. Good-bye, and good luck, I say.

No comments: