January 02, 2005

Dim Sum in Chinatown

Got together with the family for dim sum today at Emperor Garden. Judging from the procenium separating one huge dining room from the next and the murals on the wall, I assumed the building had once housed a grand movie palace. Turns out it was a site for entertainment, but for men only. According to my sister-in-law, who remembers it from her days at Tufts, it used to be a strip club known as The Naked I. As for the meal, my feeling is I always think I'm going to enjoy dim sum more than I ever actually do. The sweet pork buns are a treat, but overall I'd rather just order from the menu and share a few plates. Dim sum strikes me as a quintessentially male type of meal; it's all about hunting for the next bit to eat waiting for the carts pass by and then devouring what you nab.

No comments: