January 01, 2008

He's pro-life, except for....

the convicted who receive the death penalty, apparently. That seems to be the implication of Mike Huckabee's attack ad against Mitt Romney that, among other "facts," points out that Romney presided over zero executions as Massachusetts governor. Nevermind that Massachusetts does not have the death penalty. So when Huckabbee lumps  "no executions" with "left office with a deficit" and "supported gun control," his criticism begs a question about how he reconciles his own record of 16 executions his espoused belief in the sanctity of life - which he recited on this past Sunday's Meet the Press:

It's not a faith belief.  It's deeper than that. It's a human belief.  It goes to the heart of who we are as a civilization. If I believe that your intrinsic worth is not changed by your ancestry, your last name, by your IQ, by your abilities or disabilities, if I value your life and respect it with dignity and worth because it is human, then that's what draws me to the inescapable conclusion that I should be for the sanctity of every and each human life. 

I don't know why Tim Russert didn't challenge him about this apparent contradiction. Maybe another journalist will follow-up, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments: